header 2 copy />
header 3 copy />
header 4 copy />

Soundtrack of my life

Sunday, May 16, 2010
I've always heard people say that we all have soundtracks for our lives. I honestly can say that certain songs will take me back to completely different times in my life. For instance, hearing Mariah Carey takes me instantly back to my bedroom in high school, where I laid on my bed and belted out the entire CD for hours. For any of you who know how wonderful (insert sarcasm here) my voice is, you know why that is so hilarious to me. I can hear a Boyz II Men song and I think of my friend Jackie and the many evenings we spent entertaining my parents by singing these songs while standing on our "stage" (the ledge in front of our old fireplace). Yes, I do realize that 13 was a little old to be doing that, but we had a great time. lol... And the list goes on... I could probably turn on the radio right now and find a song that would "take me back."

Anyway, when I was a little girl, I really enjoyed reading poetry. It took a while for me before I realized that so many of the songs that I loved were poems in and of themselves. Sometimes, I hear a song, listen to the words, and something about them will just stick with me. I thought about starting my own little collection of these lyrics, but that seems kind of silly to me. I don't know why, but I just don't want to be the hoarder of song lyrics for some reason. Probably because I'm already tracking and hoarding so many other things.

So, maybe I'll just post one every now and then that is fun or interesting or somehow affecting me.

The first one is American Honey by Lady Antebellum. When I first heard this song, I thought it was kind of cheesy or silly. Then, I read the lyrics... and it's really sweet. I can relate with it in terms of missing the "good ole days" when things were slower and easier and I spent hours upon hours roaming the countryside behind my grandparents' home or laying in a field reading a book. I've said it in my posts before, but it makes me sad that my kids won't have that slow, country lifestyle. You learn a lot about how to be comfortable with yourself and to just "be" when you don't have anything in the world to distract you from yourself. Yep... I know... that was as clear as mud. lol.

So... here's the lyrics for American Honey, if you haven't already heard it 1,000 times on the radio. :)

She grew up on a side of the road
Where the church bells ring and strong love grows
She grew up good
She grew up slow
Like American honey

Steady as a preacher
Free as a weed
Couldn't wait to get goin'
But wasn't quite ready to leave
So innocent, pure and sweet
American honey

There's a wild, wild whisper
Blowing in the wind
Calling out my name like a long lost friend
Oh I miss those days as the years go by
Oh nothing's sweeter than summer time
And American honey

Get caught in the race
Of this crazy life
Trying to be everything can make you lose your mind
I just wanna go back in time
To American honey, yea

There's a wild, wild whisper
Blowing in the wind
Calling out my name like a long lost friend
Oh I miss those days as the years go by
Oh nothing's sweeter than summer time
And American honey

Gone for so long now
I gotta get back to her somehow
To American honey

Ooh There's a wild, wild whisper
Blowing in the wind
Calling out my name like a long lost friend
Oh I miss those days as the years go by
Oh nothin's sweeter than summer time
And American honey
And American honey

0 comments: