header 2 copy />
header 3 copy />
header 4 copy />

To Run or Not to Run... that is the question...

Friday, July 16, 2010
Tomorrow is July 17th... the day that I have been looking forward to since I first decided to become a runner. It is the race that I had set as my goal for completing my first 5K. Nevermind that I did run a 5K a couple of weeks ago. The Bluegrass State Games was the goal. And, I am NOT ready. Tomorrow is the Bluegrass State Games and I am NOT ready.


Fortunately, it has nothing to do with my training. I have stuck to my plan and trained according to the suggestions of the Couch to 5K program, along with some advice from other websites and my friend, Dawn. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and not giving up when I felt like doing just that a few different times along the way. I am a little concerned about my sanity, since I do seem to be much more addicted to this whole running thing more than I ever expected to be. Yet, I'm excited about that... finally, I'm addicted to something good for me, unlike the other things I love like chocolate, Diet Mt. Dew, and ice cream. My lungs and heart are ready for this race. It's just my ankle. The ridiculous ankle that gave me problems after only a couple of weeks running. It's back and it's fighting to keep me down. 


I blogged earlier this week that I was going to run that night, but an unexpected truck purchase taking longer than I anticipated got in my way. So, I didn't run. Time after time, things got in the way, and this morning was really my only opportunity to get out and try out my ankle. It was kind of nice feeling like I had rested it and healed it completely. It was swelling a little yesterday, but the pain was pretty much gone, so I thought it was probably fine. 


I ran this morning. Five minutes into my run, I had to stop and limp home. 


A bucket of ice and an Ibuprofen later... still swollen. What? Are you kidding me?! Still swollen? 


To tape it or not to tape it... to run or not to run... to cry or not to cry. Those are the questions.We'll see how today goes... and maybe tomorrow, just maybe tomorrow, I can tape it up and run without walking. I am so completely disappointed that my goal is not to walk again. I wanted to be at the point where I would be trying to get my speed up, not worrying about just finishing. But, as God continues to teach me, I am NOT in control of everything. Bailey thinks I am, since I can control the window lock and all of the windows from the driver seat in the car... :) But, I know better. :)

0 comments: