header 2 copy />
header 3 copy />
header 4 copy />

First times...

Monday, January 24, 2011
Lately, we have had a lot of snow. 


I have a love-hate relationship with the snow. Some days, it is a welcome break - a moment to slow down and relax at my home with kids, enjoying the little things that we love... popcorn, movies, junk food, blankets, and pajamas. On other days, it's a huge hassle. On days like these, I have to drag the kids out of the house, take Brad to work or pick him up, driving on slick roads. On days like these, I'm stressing over trying to do work from home so that I can keep my hours and paychecks up, while also stressing that my kids need my attention and have watched their 100th video of the year. :) 


So, what have we been doing with all of the snow and snow days? 


We aren't moving slow. That's for certain. And, we've had some fun "firsts." 


Our kids have had their first basketball practice and game, under their first basketball coaches, my wonderful husband, Brad, and one of my closest friends, Dawn. There will be many more posts on this to come, I'm sure. Let's just say, Go Celtics. I hope there is improvement down the road... and leave it all at that. :) 


I also had a first this weekend... I ran for the first time in my life in sub-freezing weather and in the snow. Yes, that's right. I ran outside, in the snow. I was a little worried and not excited. But, I have to say, other than the salt truck that threatened to run me off the road and pelt me with salt a few times, and the neighbors that I am sure wanted to run me down, and the puddles of melting snow that ended up in my shoes, freezing my toes, it was a lot of fun. I actually warmed up pretty quickly. While running, I was wishing I had the Rocky IV soundtrack on my iPod. I just kept thinking about Rocky while running... and laughing that I was actually channeling a movie that I've watched so many times in my life that I honestly hate it now. :) It was a good start to my "real" training for the half marathon. A little over 6 miles, in the snow, at a decent pace. I hope that means I can do this. 


The other first is one that I just laugh about. We went out with our friends without our kids while they hung out with a babysitter at home... going to bed on their own at 9:30. Now, you know we've gone out with our friends. However, we have yet to go without the kids AND have them at home with a sitter who is not in our immediate family. AND they went to bed on their own at 9:30. I mean, really, I can't believe I'm blogging about it, but it happened. It is amazing to me how it feels like we have moved into a whole new phase in our life by just this one simple act. But, over the past 6 months, it really does seem like we've moved into a whole new and wonderful phase of life. The kids don't wake us up at 6 a.m. on the weekends... instead, they sleep until at least 7:30 or 8 and then proceed to only wake us up when they are starving for breakfast. On those days, we get up, fix them a bowl of cereal, and crawl back into bed until 9 or 9:30. It's incredible. I officially can say that I have NO desire to have another baby now. :) 


And, then there is the final first that we really are not that pleased about. We have shared a vehicle for more than a month. I will say two things... I cannot wait to get my car back and I have an incredible amount of respect for all of my friends who share vehicles and my parents for the many years that they transported us everywhere while sharing one vehicle. It's not horrible to share a car... but it is definitely not something I want to do much longer. Please say a prayer that my car gets fixed this week... and that it stays that way. :) 

0 comments: