header 2 copy />
header 3 copy />
header 4 copy />

Do you hear me?

Sunday, September 21, 2008
"What are we going to do today?" she asks almost every morning, within a few seconds of opening her eyes, rubbing the sleep out, and pushing her hair from her face.

My three-year old has to be the only child her age that I know who can go on 8-10 hours of sleep a day, seemingly unaffected. She is truly my child... constantly wanting to know "the plan" and needing to run around at every opportunity. I guess we have a shared philosophy that can only be genetic... Life is just too short to let a spare moment get away.

So, when Bailey looked at me yesterday and asked what we were going to do, I told her we'd have a yard sale. Yes, the neighborhood was having their annual fall yard sale day, and I stayed up until about 2:30 a.m. working through years of baby clothes. I was definitely worried that she'd freak when she saw that most of the things we'd be selling were her old clothes. I was met with a pleasant surprise though. She didn't care at all... she actually wanted to help me sell to the people walking by. She repeated to one lady that we really didn't have boys clothes out because I didn't get it all ready until "last night." I know she hears everything I say. It's so much funnier to hear her versions of things though. :)

It was yesterday afternoon, after we had packed the yard sale up, made a Wal-mart run, and grilled out our dinner, that Bailey, Jake, and I were sitting in the backyard. Bailey and I were talking about how beautiful it was outside. She turned to me and said, "It would be a great day to go fishing."

I suppose that she takes in more than I realize from our conversations... indeed it would have been a great day to go fishing. The weather was beautiful, just cool enough. I have told her a half dozen times that when the weather gets a little bit cooler, we'll go fishing again. If only she'd listen when I say things like, "I wish someone would help me clean up these toys," or my new favorite, "You have to eat SOMETHING good... not gummy bears or pretzels." :)

0 comments: