header 2 copy />
header 3 copy />
header 4 copy />

Vacation - Chapter 3

Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Well, I've been slow in writing. It's been tough sitting down at night in front of the computer. But, back to the vacation...

From Tuesday on, the weather was great! We had a couple of storm showers of the evenings, but we were able to lay out in the sun for most of the day each day. The kids really enjoyed the sand and water. We finally figured out a good system to get them out early and keep them out through lunch. We started packing "Uncrustables" and a cooler full of drinks and snacks each day. It was great.

Bailey really enjoyed playing with the older boys. They were better at making sandcastles and coming up with creative things to do in the sand, so it was wonderful that she had someone to play with. Jake enjoyed playing musical chairs with our lounge chairs... he would do anything to get out of the sand. He liked the water, but not as much as he liked the pool. He did not think it was cool that the water tried to pull him back and forth as the tide came in and went out. There was just something about the sand burying up his feet that he just couldn't deal with.

I think the kids enjoyed the pools more than anything. I can't tell you how many times we would hear, "Can we go back to the pool?" Jake even seemed to perk up when the pool was mentioned. Brad was wonderful about taking them to the lazy river to swim, giving me some time to lay out, talk to my mom and Angela, and help Angela with her boys. At one point, I actually grew concerned that something might have happened, because Brad was gone with them both for over an hour. :) Time with Daddy is always great. I'm glad that the kids had some time to enjoy with just him.

At this point, all of the nights are running together, so I can't remember which night we took Bailey to the amusement park. Mom watched Jake so that we could take Bailey and let her ride some rides. She had a BLAST! She was dying to ride the ferris wheel, which I am terrified of. Of course, Brad thought it would be great for me to take her on this one. As I sat at the top of the wheel with Bailey looking over the crowd below, I really thought I would throw up. Bailey was a champ. She didn't even seem to be a little scared. I was a nervous wreck, feeling like I was going to topple over at any minute. My hands were shaking, my heart pacing... I don't know why in the world I let them talk me into going. Brad should have gone... totally should have.

Anyway... after that was over, Bailey rode a bunch of the little rides. She found a friend that would ride with her, which was perfect since she was being little miss independent and was determined to ride by herself. They had a great time. She did not like the bumper cars though. They had a very small version of bumper cars and Bailey was dying to try it. She didn't really understand the concept, but she was determined. She can't drive at all. She can't figure out how to steer. She can't figure out how to pedal a bike. She just can't get it all together (yes, you can say she's like me, I know.). So, we knew this was going to be a disaster, but we were hopeful that she wouldn't be the only one. She got stuck behind a little boy in her car and couldn't figure out how to move. Brad and I were yelling directions to her (just imagine two overly-competitive parents at a t-ball game and you'll get the picture). Finally, the little boy in front of her figured out how to bump her out of the way, bumping her into another car. Tears ensued and she cried out that everyone was hitting her. I had to rescue her from the ride. It was hilarious... but it also made me feel bad for her. She was so upset. Fortunately, that didn't turn her off to the rides. We spent about an hour and a half riding rides and walking around. Finally, we decided it was time to go. And of course, we walked back into the condo to find my little man still awake (past 11) and going strong. This was the start to several nights of Jake closing the place down. :)

0 comments: